YAMAZAKI’S ONE-OFF SPECIAL BLEND JUNSHIN DEBUTS AT AUCTION IN BONHAMS NOVEMBER SALE
One of many solely 200 bottles of Yamazaki Junshin privately launched this 12 months will lead Bonhams High quality and Uncommon Wine & Whisky sale in Hong Kong on 18 November 2022. The Junshin, which suggests “pure” and “true” in Japanese, is marketed as Yamazaki’s particular one-off mix and introduced as a present to pay tribute to globally-renowned grasp blender Richard Paterson, for his lengthy years of dedication to Japanese whisky. It was solely accessible to Suntory’s VIP shoppers however is now going to the podium with an estimate of HK$250,000-320,000.
Formulated by Fukuyo Shinju, Suntory’s Chief Blender, the Junshin takes its tasters down the reminiscence lane of the distillery’s 100 years of whisky making. This whisky blends Mizunara malt, Spanish oak malt, and smoky malt aged for greater than 20 years with super-long aged malt matured for greater than 50 years in Japanese Mizunara casks:
- Yamazaki Single Malt oldest Mizunara 1960/62 year-old, 1961/61 year-old and 1964/58 year-old.
- Yamazaki Single Malt Mizunara 1999/23 year-old
- Yamazaki Single Malt Spanish Oak 2001/21 year-old
- Yamazaki Single Malt American Oak Puncheon Peated 2000/22 year-old
The label, made with the standard Echizen washi paper, options the phrase Junshin by well-known calligrapher Takeda Souun. This additionally marks the very first time calligraphy has appeared on the label of a Yamazaki bottle. The phrases “pure” and “true” had been chosen to explain the whisky-makers’ pure intent for his or her craft.
Diego Lanza, Bonhams Senior Whisky Specialist, commented: “Introduced as a splendid reward not meant for the secondary market, the Yamazaki Junshin includes the rarest and oldest – as much as 62 years outdated – vintages ever produced by the Yamazaki distillery, which is one thing often solely discovered of their finest merchandise, such because the Yamazaki 50-year-old and 55-year-old. It’s truthful to say that the Yamazaki Junshin is as uncommon as these trophy bottles. We due to this fact count on quite a lot of curiosity from international collectors, not solely as a result of this would be the very first time it’s provided to the general public, but additionally forward of Yamazaki’s one hundredth anniversary subsequent 12 months.”
Different whisky highlights embrace:
- An unbelievable collection of greater than 140 bottles of Karuizawa whisky led by: an entire 10 bottle-set of Karuizawa “Samurai” collection (estimate: HK$850,000-1,000,000, imaged left); a single-owner whisky assortment that includes an entire 36-bottle set of Karuizawa “36 Views of Mount Fuji” (estimate: HK$1,300,000-1,700,000); 5 uncommon bottles of Karuizawa 1965-over-50-year-old “Streams of Time” (estimate: HK$420,000-750,000); and a Karuizawa 1968 50-year-old “Aqua of Life” (estimate: HK$380,000-480,000).
- The Scotch whisky part is highlighted by The Macallan 55-12 months-Previous in Lalique (estimate: HK$700,000-800,000, imaged proper), The Macallan 1951-Cask #1541/1542 (estimate: HK$250,000-300,000), and a Bowmore 1965 52 12 months outdated (estimate: HK$240,000-300,000).
Bonhams, based in 1793, is among the world’s largest and most famed auctioneers, providing fantastic artwork and collectables, motor automobiles and a luxurious division, together with jewelry, watches, wine and whisky. The primary salerooms are in London, New York, Los Angeles, Paris and Hong Kong, with auctions additionally held in Knightsbridge, Edinburgh, and Sydney. With a worldwide community of workplaces and regional representatives in 22 international locations, Bonhams gives recommendation and valuation providers in 53 specialist areas. For a full checklist of forthcoming auctions, plus particulars of Bonhams specialist departments, please go to bonhams.com
High quality and Uncommon Whisky 18 November 2022 Bonhams Hong Kong, 20/F, One Pacific Place, Admiralty